Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thirty Days to Live

What would you do if you knew you only had thirty days left to live? No cures, no reprieves - thirty days, period.

In my line of work, I see many people who are near the end of this life. I have yet to hear people say things like, "Man, I wish I had more time to work harder." "I'm going to spend these thirty days making as much money as I can." "I'm going to buy the biggest house possible in which to spend this last month." In most cases, they don't talk about stuff, or achievements, or recognition, or accomplishments. Mostly, they talk about people. They make peace where they can. They say things they've never had the courage to say. They talk about love. In short, they realize what was really supposed to matter all along.

What would it be like if we all spent the next month living like we knew we were going to die at the end of it? How would that shift our priorities? How would we be different? How would our country be different? How would a church be different?

Being one who keeps an eye on Jesus of Nazareth, I noticed the record of the last 5-7 days of his life. (In a Bible it will be in the 11th and 12th chapter of the book of Mark.) Here's what he did with his last days: He lived boldly. He left much. He loved fully. More on this in upcoming posts...

Why would we have to actually be short-timers to do this? Why don't we live as if we only had 30 days all the time? What's stopping us?

What would you do if you only had 30 days to live? I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: