Monday, November 8, 2010

30 Days to Live: LIVE BOLDLY!

What would I do if I only had 30 days to live? First, I would live boldly. This might mean that I would do things I always wanted to do, but didn't have the time, resources, or gumption. I would go deep sea fishing. My wife and I would finally get that trip to the Canadian Rockies. I would kayak from the headwaters of the Current River to the Gulf of Mexico, or something like that.

More than this, though, I would live boldly what I believe. Too often we hesitate to act with assertiveness and courage because we're afraid of the cost: I might lose friends. I might lose financial assets. I might lose position and prestige. My actions might not be popular. I remember a time in my childhood when I saw a child of another race being picked-on and demeaned in our church's Sunday School. I knew it was wrong, especially in the house of God, but I didn't do anything to stop it. Maybe I was afraid of the bullies, maybe I didn't want to get involved, or maybe I just didn't care enough. I remember that event, though, and I still have remorse about that 50 years later.

As a follower of Jesus I'm expected to act as though my time is limited. More than that, those who are outsiders, outcasts, or just living far from God have limited time as well. I am expected to act with the urgency that having only 30 days to live would bring?

What would you do with only 30 days left? How would you live boldly? I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: