Friday, November 5, 2010

Hell As a Motivator

Occasionally people ask me why I don't preach and teach about hell more than I do. I take very seriously the danger of an eternity separated from God. I believe and I proclaim that there's nothing we can do of our own effort to avoid what John Wesley referred to as "the wrath to come." By our own pride and idolatry, we are the architects of our own peril. Designed for the primary purpose of bonding with God and each other, we consistently act as though we are the potter rather than the clay. Leaders in my denominational tradition tend to soft-peddle the reality of a heaven to gain and hell to avoid. I'm aware of the danger in that, and I admit that I am part of that tendency.

However, faith motivated by fear alone stands on shaky ground. This week a wise friend of mine observed that way too much in life, including life in relationship with Jesus (God with us), is driven by fear. Fear divides and entrenches. It breeds self-preservation and suspicion. We are told that God's love, which is perfect love, casts out fear. I believe that a stronger basis of faith is coming to God because of what we are moving toward, rather than do so only because of what we will avoid. It should be, "a response to the one who claims each one of us, not because we deserve it, but simply because we are cherished." (Grace Adolphson Brame) Love builds a stronger faith than does fear.

Just my thoughts for the day. Next post: What I would do with 30 days to live: LIVE BOLDLY! I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: