Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Certain Inalienable Rights

One of our nation's founding documents speaks of human beings as having "certain inalienable rights" given by God. Among those rights are "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Here's an area in which I believe our nation is struggling now - what is included in "life"? Specifically, is health care among those inalienable rights?

Early this year my wife went through a major health crisis. She got through it, with very good health care. Now we're in the crunch of paying for that, even after insurance has covered the bulk of it. It's a strain for us, yet we both have jobs and will find a way to eek out covering the last of the billings. I think of the thousands; no - millions of Americans for whom a major health crisis would crush them, economically.

Granted, the baseline of health care keeps changing. Advancements mean that my wife is alive now, whereas 100 years ago she would have died, as would everyone else with her condition. Still, with techno-medical advancements, does everyone have a right to the benefit of those advancements, or are those just for the people of means?

Just for argument I'm going to say that health care is an inalienable right. That is NOT to say that I think the government should run it. (If you like the idea of government running health care, how did you feel about the government running railroads?) This is not a statement supporting "Obamacare" or opposing it. I'm just saying that quality health care should be afforded to everyone, if we are in line with our national values. And, for me, it goes beyond national values to a greater value - the way God sees each one of us.

Maybe I'm saying that churches and not-for-profits need to cowboy-up and get back in the game in a more central way. Haven't thought that far ahead. But, this is just me, and what do I know. What do you think? I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: