Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Who Cares if Churches Survive?

Some people fear for the future of organized religion in North America. They point to the declining impact of churches. A recent research project cited in Rev magazine indicates that worship attendance nationwide is likely lower than previously thought by the Barna and Gallup organizations. An editorial in our local paper on Easter Sunday lamented the diminishing strength of churches. One church leader publicly stated that the Church may be a generation away from extinction.

I wish I could say that my primary concern is the survival of United Methodism or any Christian denomination as we know it. Honestly, though, it isn't my main concern. In fact, if my denomination or any denomination is destined to turn inward, hunker down in survival mode, and eventually die, I say so be it.

The vital core of the gospel of Jesus the Christ always finds a way to spark, flicker, and eventually blaze, regardless of history's attempts to suppress it, and regardless of institutional baggage that threatens to suck the life out of it. The living presence of Jesus does not depend on human institutions to survive. It's the other way around; organized institutions depend on being focused fully on Christ for vitality and validation. The question is not whether or not faith in Christ will survive. The good news of Christ will always find a way. The question is whether or not our denomination or any denomination will be a part of it. If we are, then the Holy Spirit will flow freely in and through us. If we're not, then we deserve to fade away.

Ironically, the surest way for United Methodism to die is for United Methodists to seek first and foremost for institutional survival. The path to survival is to forget about whether or not our organization survives and to be concerned solely with whether or not we're aligned with the disciple-making, life-transforming mission we've been given. Something about he/she who seeks to save his/her life will lose it, etc.

I may be paddling alone now. I hope to see some of you, anyway, around the next bend in the river.

4 comments:

Diggin' in the Dirt said...

I'm in the canoe right next to you on this one! Amen and amen. As much as I appreciate it and am comfortable with it's teachings, I'm well aware that Jesus Christ didn't die to establish the United Methodist Church. If it no longer serves God's purpose, it needs to get out of the way.

Diggin' Deeper said...

I'm in the canoe with you also (and I cannot even swim). I left another denomination in search of a church home that would help me to be closer to God, not closer to another organization or institution. Many times we become caught up in the "business" of the institution called church and lose sight of the real reason and objective, following the teachings of Jesus Christ and leading others to Him.

ODAAT said...

Well, I hope we have a big canoe! I'm paddling too! Several years ago I read where people were trying to stop the Mississippi River from moving, so they wouldn't lose their port city. I thought, "how odd, if God wants it moved, He's going to move it, you can't stop it." God will do what God will do.

Song of Deborah said...

Pastor, you are so not alone out there on the raging river. Keep paddling! Jesus Christ calls His body to cast out into the deep and make disciples of all the nations. If we are willing to follow His lead, we won't have to worry about the direction of the church.