Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Talking Head?

As I said, I want to pull together some thoughts about the very insightful comments I've received on previous posts. I will get to that tomorrow or Saturday. I've been at a meeting at our denomination's state conference center in Columbia today, and I stopped through St. Louis to see a parishoner who had surgery at Barnes-Jewish hospital. I'm a little road weary, and my brain is pretty much mush right now.

Just a little something popped into my mind today. At one point during the meeting at the conference center today, I made a comment to the group. As soon as I started talking, I noticed a particular reaction in one of the participants. It took a fraction of a second, but I noted it. In fact, from time to time I've seen other folks do the same thing when I'm in a group discussion and when I start to say something.

This person glanced at his/her watch. Just for a moment, but, as soon as I started talking, it happened. She/he would have no conscious awareness that it happened, probably.

When I've seen other people do this as I begin to speak, I wonder if how many people presume that, if Geoff is talking, it's going to take a while. If so, I'm not surprised. To a large extent I make my living with words. And, let's be honest...a lot of us in my particular vocation are in love with the sound of our own voices. I wonder if there are times when I am known more for talking than for listening.

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all. The room was filled with my friends and colleagues in ministry, and I think God was speaking through them. If they would experience me or anyone who shares our mission as talking more than listening, what must the yet-to-be reached population around us think? Is it possible that those of us who really long for others to experience the transformation of Jesus can lose the balance between presenting and receiving? We're in a different world now. To learn it and to learn how to present Jesus in it, I'd better learn how to hear it. Wasn't it Francis of Assisi who said something like, "Preach the Gospel, and, if necessary, use words!"

I plan on trout fishing with a couple of friends tomorrow. I'm going to try to practice an economy of my own words.

Your thoughts? Seriously, I need to listen to you. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

4 comments:

Diggin' Deeper said...

Don't feel bad about someone checking their watch before or as you start to speak; I think there is more cause for concern when they check the watch while you are speaking.

ODAAT said...

I see this behavior a lot, in many situations, when I'm speaking, when someone else is speaking, at work, in everyday conversations. I must admit, I'm guilty of it myself. We live in such a time conscious world. For me, I'm always checking to see where I'm at in my day. It probably has far less to do with you than it does the person with the watch.

I have become aware of this behavior in myself and do my best not to check my watch in front of people! For someone "owned by the clock" it's a difficult behavior to correct!

Unknown said...

Nice job of self-introspection but remember all those who do NOT check their watch. Jesus Christ, Himself, could not hold everyone's attention.
Don't give it too much thought.

Swimmin'upstream said...

Wow..I think we all could be better at listening. But listening means paying attention...Focusing on the one that is speaking. A hard discipline to follow in a multi-tasking world.
Maybe that's why the Holy Spirit is purposely called the
"still small voice".... it requires effort to dial out the static of the day and pay attention..focus...and hear it.
And...by making this effort to listen to either our God or a friend... it sends the message that the one speaking is valued.
THAT is what our God and people want...is to be valued.