Monday, March 10, 2008

Changing Forms/Changeless Substance

It's been a glorious, pre-Spring day in Southeast Missouri. A couple of friends and I plan to do some fishing this Friday, so here's hoping...

Before the week is over I want to post a summation of some great observations I've received, commenting on previous posts. Today, just a quick thought... I am doing a little reading in the history of the Methodist movement, with its various tributaries and branches. In reading about the post-Civil War years and the rise of the Holiness movement in the late 1800's, I ran across this statement: "As young 'progressive' ministers joined the ranks, older preachers looked on sadly at such innovations as robed choirs, organs, and seminary-trained ministers." (Vinson Synon. The Holiness-Pentecostal Tradition. William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, 1997. Page 24. italics mine.) Imagine that...robes and organs viewed as dangerous innovations! In some traditional churches now, these are the very things over which many church persons will fight to the death, as if they constitute the core of the message we proclaim. Apparently this has always been the case with whatever forms of faith expression become institutionally the norm. I wonder if the day will come when people of my generations will lament some new way of worship, believing we should stick with electric guitars, drums, and keyboards, and singing "Lord, I Life Your Name on High" as God intended!

As I indicated in my first post on this blog, sometimes we confuse the specific forms through which we happen to experience and express faith with a relationship with Jesus the Christ. Again, what do we need to keep and what do we need to jettison, so that connecting with Christ stays the main thing?

Those are my thoughts on this stretch of the river today. Yours? I'll see you around the next bend.

(I'm about 2/3 of the way to enough money for that kayak!)

1 comment:

Swimmin'upstream said...

Today, I comment on Sunday's message, which gives away a little bit of my anonymity.
You, I believe, know how necessary it is to let God out of the box that we have created. When you placed "the wounded soul" at the alter as a representation of those who need prayer and healing, I was in awe! That person became all of us!! Those of us afraid, embarassed, full of pride.......
As Elaine speaks of the book she is reading; it is the Holy Spirit within us that allows us to respond. That day..."the wounded soul" became us and the Holy spirit allowed us to feel HIS grace and mercy.
Thank you for thinking "out of the box". No amount of singing, organ playing, guitar strumming, or words could have done what that moment did.
Continue to "think outside the box"!! We are listening!!