Monday, April 19, 2010

Is God Falling Down on the Job? - Part 2

(Yeah, I know - it's not Sunday...)

In the last post I talked about Arnold Prater, a dynamic leader in our denominational tradition a half century ago. Pastor Prater and his wife went through the horrible experience of being robbed in their home once. At gunpoint they were forced to lie face down on the floor of their house while thieves ransacked their home. Never had they felt more vulnerable or fearful. Everything precious to them - memories, a future with children and grandchildren, continued ministry, their lives together - could be snuffed out in an instant. If God's job is to keep faithful people safe and protected, God was certainly falling down on the job.

However, Mr. and Mrs. Prater did not believe God's job is to keep from tough circumstances in life. God's job (and God's passionate pleasure) is to offer love, presence, and power even in the midst of tough circumstances. Even with the cold steel of a gun at his neck, Arnold felt God say to him, "You're mine. You belong to me, no matter what. I gave you my son (Jesus) to seal that deal. Nothing can take you away from me, not even death itself. This that's happening now? The worst they can do is kill you! And even then, you'll still be mine." And at the lowest moment of their lives, Arnold Prater and his wife experienced peace, assurance, joy, and even power.

That, I believe, is God doing God's job. What do you think? I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: