Friday, April 30, 2010

I Hate Change?

I have finally joined the 21st century. For a week now I've been the owner of an iPhone. I find it amazing what all it will do. With the right apps an iPhone can eliminate the need for a personal computer, a land-line phone, a camera, a video cam, a calendar, a television, a home security system, and someone to love you. (Okay, so I'm totally kidding about that last one...I think...) Change. Wow. Less than a decade ago I was just happy to have a laptop, along with every other high-tech wannabee in an airport terminal.

Change comes at us fast and furious, with no mercy. And we seem to be in an era of accelerated change. Some are enthralled with change, and some hate it with a passion. For example, "change" was a buzzword for the Barack Obama presidential campaign. In opposition, I've seen signs around that say, "You can keep the CHANGE!" Changing times have had an impact in my world - the world of Jesus-followers and churches. With rapid changes all around, some want God and the church to be the one place that never changes. Others believe that God is demanding changes in churches so that we may better fulfill our mission of growing new followers of Jesus.

I'm a runner, running 4-6 miles every other day. I run on roadways and sidewalks. I love to go out and follow a different route every day. However, for the last seven years my running has created a repeated injury in my groin area. A doctor told me the only way to keep running and to heal it is to start running on high school tracks or treadmills. The constant pounding on concrete and uneven hard surfaces will keep me injured. I hate the thought of that. Giving up running on the open road sounds like giving up running itself. Why would I want to run around and around a high school track and see the same scenery over and over? And running on a treadmill?!?...I might as well be a gerbil or a hamster! So, if my goal is to keep running the way I've always run and to not change, then I'll probably stay injured and frustrated. However, if the original goal of running was to stay healthy and keep my heart strong, then, to reach that goal, I'll need to change.

I guess it depends on the goal. What do you think? I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: