Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Islam

Issues in and around Islamic faith have been real disturbing to me lately. I know Islamic people who exhibit nothing but respect for me and for my faith in Jesus. Yet clearly there are those who believe Islam means death to all who are non-Islamic, all who are American, and/or all who follow Jesus Christ. There are places and situations throughout history and throughout the world where adherents to Islamic faith have been the perpetrators of violence, as well as places and situations wherein they have been the victims of violence. The terrible tragedy at Fort Hood is disturbing on several levels.

On the one hand, some people argue for tolerance in dealing with Islam. To be sure, adherents to Islam are as diverse in their beliefs and emphases as are Christians. There are extremists and there are tolerant people among them. Still, some interpret their own Islamic faith as a mandate for our destruction. If it wasn't clear before, it became crystal clear on 09.11.01. In the 1930's Chamberlain of Great Britain called for tolerance of Hitler, and look how that turned out.

On the other hand, I now constantly see and hear a complete demonizing of all Islamic people by way too many sources. In the name of patriotism, God, the Bible, or whatever, people claim Islamic people are to our era what Communists were to the 1950's through 1980's. Fear is a great motivator, and the single most effective way to galvanize fearful people is to give them a group to hate. (Again Hitler comes to mind.) I'm not saying that we don't have a real threat to face. I'm just calling into question the labeling of an entire segment of the world's population. In doing so, how are we different than those who lump all of us together and blindly hate us? Some people may have the leeway to do this. We who follow Jesus do not.

So it's a quandary for me. While not having a clear answer, I believe I heard a hopeful message. I recently learned about a young student who gave her life to Jesus Christ and was baptized a couple of days ago. She is from an Islamic background. Her parents reacted fiercely at first, disowning her and taking her possessions. Now, however, her possessions have been returned to her. Whatever relationship she is able to have with her parents from here, she has taken a brave step of faith. Hearing this story, I think the Holy Spirit reminded me that, whatever is going on politically right now, and whoever is to blame, people who live by choice or default with the Muslim label are no less passionately sought by the love of God in Jesus Christ than any of us.

That makes it harder, not easier, for we who claim Jesus. We were told the way would be narrow. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: