Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Black Friday?

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. This morning, while running, I listened to a local classic rock station, hoping to hear some kind of light-hearted banter from the morning crew, regarding the upcoming Turkey Day. Instead, in about three and a half miles at a slow, old man's pace, I heard way more about Black Friday than I heard about George Washington's vision of a national day of prayer and gratitude to the Author of life.

Black Friday. Some cultures once knew that label as an ancient way to speak of the day on which Jesus of Nazareth was executed. Now, in our culture, it has nothing to do with a sad but necessary death. "Black" refers to the likelihood and hope that most retailers will end the day in the black due to high sales officially starting the Christmas commerce season. The boldest headline in our local newspaper simply states "BLACK FRIDAY." When did this become the high holy day of this week? When did it become almost un-American not to get out and spend amounts of money that are obscene to most nations of the world? When did we decide that it's patriotic to over-indulge and watch endless football on the Thursday before Black Friday instead of pausing to humbly give praise for the endless manifestations of Grace that we've inexplicably been afforded?

I don't know the answer, and I am surely part of the problem. I am aware that the God I know is beyond comprehension in his resolute love for we who tend to define life as endless indulgence. For that I am truly grateful.

A colleague of mine says that an entire day is shaped by starting it with praise to God. I've been trying to practice that as intentionally as possible lately. She's right, it changes the way a day unfolds. I intend to practice it tomorrow, of all days. If by the grace of God I awaken to greet Thanksgiving day, the very fact that my awakening happens is reason enough to praise the God who created me, loves me, and has a plan for my life.

I invite anyone to join with me in this approach tomorrow. And if you really want to walk the ragged edge of discipleship, don't buy anything on Black Friday. Bless someone in some special way instead. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

1 comment:

Windrock and Dirt said...

Wow, that's almost exactly what I was going to blog about today. Guess you said it all. All bow down to the retail god of stand in line for a good deal.