Saturday, April 25, 2009

Eye on the Prize

This morning I ran in 5K race hosted by our area YMCA. I finished 10th overall out of about 35 runners, with a time of 25:51. That wasn't too bad, in that I haven't run a 5K in about a year and a half. (I got first place in my age group. Don't be impressed. I was the only one in my age group; the oldest male runner there.)

It having been a while since I ran "competitively," I had forgotten what the last mile is like. I have a bad habit of expending too much energy in the first 2/3 of the race. Then I'm barely able to hold my own for the last mile or so. To make matters worst, most of the last third of this race route took us straight into a fierce south wind. At one point it seemed like the last turn was an eternity away. I was praying that I would at least make it to the finish line before I started dry-heaving. Then we turned, and I could see the small crowd at the finish line. It's amazing what that sight will do for a runner. I hit a good, determined stride and made it to the end just fine, with no ill affects.

These are exciting days to be followers of Jesus. Rough waters are ahead for many, though, if they are not here already. "Comfortable, surface Christianity" has no future in our land. Central allegiance to Jesus demands determination, resilience, sacrifice, radical forgiveness, and boldness, the likes of which we rarely see. The times will come when our running legs will hurt bad, our lungs will burn hot, and we will gasp for breath. We'll be tempted just to quit the race. A follower of Jesus named Paul reminds us, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14, New International Version.)

If you are a Jesus-follower, committed to and involved in the current renewal of disciple-making mission in the Body of Christ, and if the race it getting hard, keep your eye on the prize.

I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

1 comment:

Jeremy V. said...

Good words to remember during the tough days. Thanks. Peace, Jeremy