Monday, March 23, 2009

Stand

Over the weekend I was talking with my dad about a dilemma that's been frustrating me. He asked me, "Have you done all you can do?" I said, "Yes, I really have." He then reminded me that the matter is in God's hands now, and I just need to stand where I've been called to stand.

I remembered some things about this man who will turn 80 this June. He is a principled individual. My father is a retired businessman who worked for the same company all his adult life, from the time he left the Air Force after the Korean conflict. My dad was very successful in his work, but he passed up a number of opportunities at his company that could have brought him status and material advancement. He did so because he chose to operate by certain principles, and he refused to compromise those principles. He stood by his values, even when it was to his personal advantage to do so, when his superiors pressured him to do so, and when people thought less of him for not doing so. He has always been a man who tries to stand for what is right, regardless of how the world evaluates him for doing so.

I am reminded of Paul writing to the Jesus followers in Egypt about spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6:13 reads, "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." (New International Version, italics mine.) Not every dilemma is a result of spiritual warfare. Frequently, though, when we've done all we can do, we just have to know what's right in God's sight, and stand...regardless.

I pray you have the Holy Spirit's strength to stand. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: