Monday, March 16, 2009

Running is Running

I'm spending the week babysitting our youngest granddaughter, who is three months old. Her parents are public school teachers, and won't have a sitter available until the fall semester. Family members are taking turns enjoying the blessing of Aubrey for a week at a time. This is my week!

Aubrey's day starts early, so I'm on duty as soon as she rises. This changes my daily routine pretty much. I usually run between five and six miles early in the morning. When I'm here with our son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter, and when I'm doing child care, I can't run until late in the afternoon. I'm not used to that. Early morning running is significantly different than afternoon running. Traffic isn't as heavy in the wee hours. It's cooler, with less glare from the sun. In the afternoon I have to deal with more barking and protective dogs, as well as more human and vehicle traffic. There's a higher risk in the afternoon when wearing earphones, so I don't. Afternoon running is just out of my comfortable running routine.

In spite of the differences between morning and afternoon running, the benefits are the same. Cardiovascular strengthening, muscle toning, endorphins, etc. - they're all there. It just requires adapting to a different environment. Running is running. Running environments vary and change. Similarly, the good news of a crucified and risen, living and available Savior stays the same. The environments in which that good news is delivered are varied. Thus, the means through which Jesus is offered will vary. The Gospel is the Gospel. The delivery systems depend on the time and environment.

It's important to know the difference. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

1 comment:

Swimmin'upstream said...

And.... when church isn't worship....GOD is GOD. Halleluia!!