Monday, September 22, 2008

Conversations

If you are a follower of Jesus, and if you participated in public worship recently, what kind of conversations did you have before and after worship? Did you talk about Friday night's football game or how your favorite pro team would do that afternoon? Did you comment on the music or the message of the day? Did you tell someone you thought the thermostat was up too high or too low? Did you compliment another person's outfit, in hopes that you'd get a compliment in return?

Or did you end up talking about a changed life?

I just paused tonight on my way to a junior varsity football game to take stock of the conversations I've been fortunate enough to stumble into in the last 48 hours. I talked to a person who has been a church person forever, but who only now thinks there may be something more than just filling pew space. A real relationship with Jesus is about to happen there. Someone stopped me and excitedly told me that God is guiding him powerfully down some path, the destination of which he does not know, but he's certain it's going to be some bold step in ministry. A leader in our community spoke with hope about changes in our town, brought about by a foundation of prayer, in this leader's view. A friend told me about a business decision he made, fueled not by the profit margin, but by his commitment to Jesus and to another person who needs to see the love and presence of Jesus.

These are the kinds of conversations I need to hear. It's exciting to hear them and to be a part of them both in and out of the Body of Christ.

As Jesus-followers, what kind of conversations do we pursue? I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: