Saturday, August 30, 2008

Breaking Old Cycles

I'm now in the St. Louis, Missouri area, becoming increasingly nervous and excited as I await the event of this evening. In a few hours I will make my way downtown to see the University of Missouri Tigers open the 2008 football season against the strong and vastly improved University of Illinois Fighting Illini. The pressure is always on the favored team, which is Missouri, especially when the other team wants to even the score from last year's match-up.

Regardless of the outcome of the game, this day I feel a sense of hopefulness from an odd source. We're in an election year in this nation. I'm a fiercely defiant independent voter. I feel that neither party hits the mark in addressing the needs of this nation and the world. However, the landscape of this year's presidential election is pretty impacting. History will be made, regardless of the outcome. Our country could have its first non-Caucasian president. We could have the first president from among the combatants in the Vietnam conflict. And, as of yesterday, we could have our first female vice-president. As I awoke this morning it occurred to me that it really wasn't that long ago that African-Americans and women could not vote, much less run for political office. And it definitely was not that long ago that the nation was trying hard to ignore and forget the dark cloud of the Vietnam era and those who served bravely within it.

Some say that life is cyclic, and nothing really changes. Different players, same script and stage...I hear this presumption a lot as I listen to pastors and leaders from various established Christian congregations. The same people always hold power in churches, they say. The same established procedures shoot down any needed changes. Congregations stay more focused on themselves than on those outside their walls. What goes around, comes around, and nothing changes.

I don't believe that. Seemingly insurmountable barriers do fall. New ground is plowed. Sometimes we who are Jesus-followers forget that we serve a God who makes all things new. During the persecution of Christians in the first century, God reminded a follower of Jesus named John that the same old powers of spirit-crushing, destroying, and death-dealing would not keep running their destructive cycles. God unveiled before John a vision of a new heaven and a new earth.

I'm not saying that this year's election with bring about the Kingdom of God...far from it. The best of human effort does not bring about that which comes from the hand of God alone. Still, it's symbolic of the fact that things do change. We're not bound by the same categories and constraints forever and ever. This is especially true under the Lordship of Jesus the Christ.

I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Geoff: How I agreed with your comments on this Paddling On blog. Since I am in my Medicare year and have been raised a Christian, I have observed and been guilty of not wanting things to change or rock the boat where things are concerned at church or in worship. I don't know how we can ever draw that conclusion from reading the Word or if we allow ourselves to become involved, evangelize, and do the things we can for Christ in this world. It's so exciting to be a part of those who are willing to reach up, reach out, reach in. Thanks for teaching me to paddle! Barb

The Sorientes said...

I was so pleasantly surprised by your sermon on politics. I must admit that the week before when you said "and next week I will tell you how to vote" I almost rolled my eyes and gave a second thought about attending last weekend. Well I came, and was impressed with how unbiased your message came across. What guts to preach a sermon that doesn't steer hard to the right, but rather to the heart of God.

I have come to the conclusion that we can not put full responsibility on a political party or the government for that matter, to approach each issue "our way". Is it possible that we could allow the government to focus on the issues that we really need a strong government for, and as The Church and the family be stronger about those value issues we can better equip people to handle? The church, and my familiy can not grossly impact the economy, national security, healthcare or the devestating state of public education. In my opinion, we must elect a leader who will help focus the attention of our government on these critical issues. (Note, I am not stating here which leader that would be, that is for your to decide!)

The Church, and within our own family we can communicate God's values to our children regarding abortion, same sex marriage etc.

Beyond that, as the christian community in this country I can not understand how we have gotten so hung up on insisting that the government control these issues. Loving our neighbor as our self does not mean loving those who share our values and views as ourselves!

God gives us free will, why ask the government to police free will at every turn? Educate, love and help usher people into a passion and love for God's righteousness standards. Ridicule and shame will never accomplish The Great Commission.

Again, props for a great sermon, and awesome blog.

Respectfully,
Tiffany