Friday, July 18, 2008

Loving God

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. It's been a pretty hectic week. Among other things, I'm preparing to give the eulogy at my aunt's memorial service on Saturday. She was a gracious and humble lady.

On Wednesday night a leadership training group in our congregation had a great impromptu discussion on what it means to love God. Those of us who frequent worship services hear about trusting God, praying to God, seeking the blessings of God, obeying God, etc. What does it mean to love God, especially when we're invited to love God first. It's hard for us to think about loving God, when we live in a world steeped in definitions of love that are based largely on our personal pleasure and good feelings. If some certain someone makes us feel a certain way, we're taught to regard that as love.

This is a discussion that needs to continue; we will never plumb the depths of it. One thing deserves attention, though. As I encounter the love that comes to us in Jesus, I see love that is more of a decision than it is a feeling. I see a God who chooses to love us, apart from anything emotive. It's like the love I have for my wife, my children or my grandchildren. Most often they do things that make me feel warm, happy, proud, or whatever. Once in a while they may frustrate me, and the warm feelings are not there. At all times I can say without hesitation that I love them. I choose to love them no matter what. Once the choice is made, it is my top priority, and everything else is conditioned by this primary commitment. It is a love that grows and continues to explore; it has no end. This is an imperfect example of what God's love for me is like, and a reflection of what my love for God needs to be like.

In our church's vacation Bible school event, twelve children responded to an invitation to start a relationship with Jesus yesterday. Do they fully know what this entails? Not yet. Do they feel the feelings associated with loving God in Christ? Maybe; maybe not. Do they love God? Yes. They have made a choice to know and love God, whatever that is yet to become in their lives. It's not that we feel the feelings, then we choose to love God. We choose to love God, and the feelings and everything else follow.

Next week I'll be involved in a Volunteers in Mission youth workcamp, and I'll likely not have access to the internet. I probably won't post again until Friday or Saturday. I'll see you on down the river.

No comments: