Sunday, July 6, 2008

Be Like Dub

They call him "Dub." He lives at an assisted-living center in our community where my wife and I lead Sunday afternoon worship services once a month. Dub's had a tough way to go; his wife died not too long ago. Yet Dub is one of the most gracious and positive people I've ever met.

Dub does more than wear a smile on his face. His countenance is one of absolute welcomeness. When you're in Dub's presence, you know you matter. Dub makes sure that songbooks are available to anyone who comes into the lounge area of this facility when worship is happening. He's the first to leap to his feet to make sure a seat is available for anyone who happens to come late. Dub takes it upon himself to make sure everyone in the little group has a place. Some people talk about "radical hospitality." Some teach it, promote it, and struggle to practice it. Dub lives it.

Any person proclaiming Jesus appreciates audience members who smile while he/she is speaking. Dub does more than that. His face radiates a message of, "I'm with you. Give us the good news!" I'd take a church-full of "Dubs" any day!

Sometimes we worry and fret over how we should be as Jesus-followers and as congregations, in order to grow more disciples for the risen Jesus. Once a month I realize how simple it is. Just be like Dub. As a Casting Crowns songs says, just "love them like Jesus; carry them to Him..."

My wife and I are headed to the Current River tomorrow. Maybe I really will see you around the bend in the river!

No comments: