Saturday, June 21, 2008

Prayers We'd Rather Not Lift

Faith-sharing and disciple-building begins with prayer. Churches who genuinely want to grow in numbers and discipleship must do so on a foundation of prayer. These days we hear this from practiced experts in evangelism who represent a variety of places on the Christian map. Henry Blackaby, a conservative Southern Baptist says this. Paul Borden, an American Baptist from the northwest says this. Martha Grace Reese, from a mainline denomination (Disciples of Christ) says this. We start by asking God for God's own heart toward those we are called to reach. We ask God to align our minds, our hearts, our priorities and our resources to that which God is already stirring in the lives of men, women, and children. We ask God for the grace and power to join in that which God is doing. We listen for God's direction. We wait patiently and prayerfully; as long as necessary.

And we pray for those for whom we would rather not pray. This may be the most important block in the prayer foundation. You know who these people are; we've all got them - the individuals or groups who really deserve God's judgement, in our humble (self-righteous?) opinions. I have such a group, if I'm honest enough with myself to admit it. They are people in our land who receive my blame for circumstances as they are and the struggle and suffering of others. Because I believe them responsible for that which is wrong, I've convinced myself that my ill-will toward them is justified, and my anger is surely righteous. Certainly it's in line with God's anger, right?

And then I remember how it was that Jesus made so many people angry. He embraced the poor, and powerful people got angry with him. He embraced non-Jews, and righteous Jews got angry with him. He embraced a woman condemned for adultery, and law-abiding citizens got angry with him. He embraced ritually unclean people, and folks who lived sanitized, protected lives got angry with him. He embraced the people of means and religious authorities who would come to him, and revolutionaries got angry with him. In short, he embraced those who were demonized and dismissed by others. This is the heart of the one who gave his life on the cross for us.

And this is exactly where my prayer should begin, if I really want the church to be about the business of growing disciples. I need to pray for those whom I find easiest to judge and dismiss.

These waters are not always easy. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: