Sunday, June 8, 2008

Perspective

Sometimes the God who loves me convicts me with overwhelming force. By God's grace, and not by my intelligence or effort, God enables me to see life's context as God sees it.

I am currently attending our denomination's statewide annual assembly in one of our large cities. As with any organization our size, we will discuss and debate a number of structural, missional, and financial matters. We are in the middle of a difficult decision about the way in which we will provide health insurance for our retirees. In the hallways and lobbies, many people lament the increasing costs of keeping a church running, and the high price we all had to pay for the gasoline to get here.

Yesterday, just after lunch, the assembly was surprised by a visit from a Christian singing group that came from Uganda. I believe the ministry is called "Wapoto." African Jesus-followers are trying to rescue, house, educate and love the thousands of children who are orphaned by war, A.I.D.S., and other manifestations of poverty. This particular group of children and their adult leaders raise awareness of this need by providing praise and worship in song, dance, and testimony. It was the most explosive, transforming experience of worship Jesus I've had in years. These children leaped and whooped and gloried God with pure, utter Christ-focused exuberance and abandoned. It was beyond glorious.

Sitting next to me, our youth minister said, "We're fighting about insurance premiums; they don't have homes!" And they don't have mommas and daddies. I'm complaining about the price of gas and whether or not the temperature in the auditorium is high enough or low enough. They haven't reached their 12th birthdays, and they've seen the bowels of hell, yet they fling their arms in the air for joy and confess through unbridled smiles that Jesus is Lord.

Perspective. Head on down the river. I'll catch up. I'm staying here for a while.

No comments: