Monday, May 19, 2008

Expectations vs. Expectancy

Over the weekend I finished The Shack by William P. Young. Rarely am I affected by a book quite like I have been by this one. I'm still sorting out what has happened to me through the story of Mack Phillips' devastating tragedy and his grace-filled, transforming encounter with God. Really, I'm just kind of basking in it right now. Maybe I'll put words to it in an upcoming post.

William Young has presented a work that is moving, challenging, sometimes unsettling, and always engaging. Among many things that rattled my presumptions, I was drawn by his presentation of expectations versus expectancy in relationships in general, and in God's relationship with us in particular, through Jesus and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Nearing the end of the story, God (in the form of a loving, older African-American woman called "Papa") says this to Mack:

"Responsibilities and expectations are the basis of guilt and shame and judgement, and they provide the essential framework that promotes performance as the basis for identity and value...Honey, I've never placed an expectation on your or anyone else. The idea behind expectations requires that someone does not know the future or outcome and is trying to control behavior to get the required result. Humans try to control behavior largely through expectations. I know you and everything about you. Why would I have an expectation other than what I already know? And beyond that, because I have no expectations, you never disappoint me...What I do have is a constant and living expectancy in our relationship, and I give you an ability to respond in any situation and circumstance in which you find yourself. To the degree that you resort to expectations and responsibilities, to that extent you neither know me nor trust me..."
(William P. Young. The Shack. Windblown Media, Los Angeles. 2007. Page 206. emphasis mine.)

As someone steeped in expectations and fear of not living up to them, I'll need to keep thinking about that one. What do you think? If you happen to read The Shack, let me know how it hits you. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

(P.S. - I'm actually floating the Current River this Friday, weather permitting!)

3 comments:

ODAAT said...

I can't even begin to express how this book has affected me. It is probably the most powerful book I have ever read.

An expression I love and immediately came to mind when I first read the section you quoted:

"Expectations are premeditated resentments"

Pastor John said...

Loved this post! Came upon it by accident, but am thankful for the quote. I love the idea of expectancy as opposed to expectations. Really good stuff.
Enjoying the mystery.
John Stroud

Unknown said...

I read the book 'the shack'and love it. and was about to write in my blog about the difference between expectancy and expectation coz someone ask me... so i thought to try google see if any other people writing...guess what many.. but i just read yours...come first on the list... oh i will copy your quote from the book k? thanks Cheers