Friday, April 25, 2008

Relationship Over Preaching

Sorry; it's been a while since I've been back on the float. Busy week.

I've been paying close attention to something called evangelism for nearly thirty years. During all that time many research groups, both in and out of organized religion, have done studies seeking to find out why people come to church fellowships and why they stay. For three decades, the results of these studies have stayed virtually the same. People do not align themselves with a gathering of believers primarily because of specific doctrines, worship style, the building in which the group worships, the clergy person who leads the church, certain programs, etc. Overwhelmingly, people come to faith and join churches because of relationships. They're invited by persons with whom they have relationships that they trust and value. They stay in church fellowships because of the quality of relationship they feel there.

This raises two questions for me. First, am I in relationships through which I can introduce other people to Jesus? Like many Jesus-followers, most of my relationships exist within a tight field of church people; what some people call a "Christian ghetto." How can I do my part in helping people into a relationship with Jesus if I don't venture outside of a tight circle of relationships that only includes church folks?

Second, do people see a quality of relationship in me and in my church fellowship that would draw them? Do folks look at us and see a group of people and a way of relating that they'd want to be like and of which they'd want to be a part? No amount of high quality preaching, excellent music, or slick programming will overcome a relational atmosphere that is cold, apathetic, tense, or closed. Conversely, a relational atmosphere that is warm, open to newcomers, encouraging, and consistent will open the door to meeting Jesus in a way that preaching, music, and programs never will.

It's a beautiful day, and it's good to be back on the river. I'll see you around the next bend.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I loved today's blog & said amen all the while I was reading it; we are experiencing new faces at TUMC (PTL) & my constant prayer is how to retain them & ground them in the Lord in these needy times!! We must, must, must get out of our comfort zones & win the lost at any cost as the old hymn goes. As a member of our evangelism committee, I pray that we're attemptping to reach up, out, and in as is our motto. By the way, I would love to speak with Elaine re. some of the programs that are successful with seniors. Joyfully, Barb

ODAAT said...

It never ceases to amaze me how God speaks to me through others... just yesterday I was thinking how sometimes I wish my life could consist of ONLY the comfort of "church folk" relationships. Sometimes I get so tired. This morning I read your blog and realize God is reminding me I am exactly where I am supposed to be, doing what I'm supposed to be doing. He promised to comfort my soul, not life in a comfort zone. Thank you Geoff!