Friday, April 18, 2008

If We Are The Body...

Last night I attended a "Casting Crowns" concert in Murray, Kentucky. They offered a powerful experience of worship. The songs of "Casting Crowns" remind me not to just say that I am a Jesus-follower, but to be one. One of their songs is, "If We Are The Body," referring to the Church of Jesus Christ being described as the Body of Christ. I won't get the lyrics exactly right, though I hear it all the time on K-LOVE radio and other places. The lines run something like, "If we are the Body...why aren't our arms reaching? Why aren't our hands healing? Why aren't our feet moving?"

When "Casting Crowns" did this early in their concert, I tried to sing along...then the words just got stuck in my throat. I was overwhelmed by how far off target churches so often become. I felt a flooding sadness and grief over every wasted effort in time, energy, and resources that has absolutely nothing to do with bringing wounded people face to face with Jesus the healer. It was like the Holy Spirit screamed, "Please stop! For the love of God, quit going through the motions and be the Body of Christ! People all around you are wasting away and dying every day, while you go through the motions of this thing you call church. Start being the Body!"

God, I'm so sorry for everything I've done and not done to make the church some sort of a benign civic organization. I have to answer for every sermon I preached that was for display and not for response. I am responsible for every decision based more on people politics than people-saving. I deserve judgement for every occasion when I saw ministry as more of a privilege than a marching order. I have contributed to giving more attention to the comfort of the few who are on the inside, than to the many who are lost on the outside. I am accountable for all of this, and I have no hope apart from your healing mercy. Break me, heal me, reshape me, use me, or toss me aside - whatever helps bring one more person into the saving embrace of Jesus.

You all head on down the river. I need to sit here on the bank for a while. I'll catch up.

(ADDENDUM: My thoughts and prayers today are with those who are trying desperately to deaden life pains through chemicals - alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription drugs, household chemicals. Here in our area, the movement known as "Footprints" helps such folks experience Jesus as the bridge to deliverance. A "Footprints" group meets at our church facility every Sunday. You may call 573-471-3283 for details. No names will be asked.)

No comments: