Monday, April 6, 2015

How Did I Want the Last Easter To Be?

Easter is my favorite holiday, and it is my favorite day as a part of the Body of Christ.  Far less commercially tainted and secularly co-opted than Christmas, it's a day when the message stands less hindered.  And the Resurrection Day contains not just a message about Jesus, the heart of God, and the purpose of the Church.  Easter is THE message.  Without it, nothing else matters.

It was about last Wednesday that the personal truth about Easter 2015 landed hard in my previously distracted mind.  This was to be my last Easter to preach the Resurrection message as a lead pastor of a church.  As of June 28 Elaine and I will be in a new location and I will begin a whole new type of ministry.  I'll be assuming a newly created executive pastor position at a missionally strong, outward-focused, disciple-making church in southwest Missouri.  It's is an exciting step in this church's growth, and I'm honored and humbled to be asked to participate.  It's the type of ministry I feel called to provide at this point in life, and it's the perfect position for an old duffer within a half decade or so of retirement!  And it's not the role of the lead proclaimer.  So, after preaching every Easter since 1978, continuously, it ended yesterday.

During the latter part of what's known as "Holy Week" (the week before Easter Sunday), I've been thinking about how I would like my last Easter as a lead pastor to be.  In sum, 04.05.15 was everything I hoped for and more!  Our always excellent musicians simply outdid themselves giving glory to a risen Savior.  Pastors and staff leaders worked tirelessly above and beyond the call of duty, and led Easter worship all weekend with Resurrection joy.  Volunteers served as if the Kingdom itself depended on it, and hospitality workers opened the very arms of the risen Jesus.  They all made it easy to preach on what was a somewhat bittersweet day.  More importantly, they helped me to take my self-centered focus off my particular circumstance and put it precisely where it should be - on joining with them in offering a living Savior to people who need to see Him.   This is a truly great church, and it will be hard to say goodbye.

However, here's what really made this Easter everything it should have been.  This is part of a text I received Sunday afternoon from one of our church's many prayer warriors:  "I went in the prayer room toward the end of the service and prayed with two different men.  As they walked out I noticed a lady on her knees praying.  I knelt down beside her and put my arm around her.  She jumped and quickly turned toward me.  I just began to pray for God's Holy Spirit to come over us.  He came!  She was broken and not sure what to do.  She was seeking a new life in Christ; tired of the battles and her old life style.  She had never accepted Jesus in her life.  I had her repeat a prayer after me.  She confessed her sin, repented, and asked God to come into her life and save her and (become) Lord over her.  The amazing thing was that this morning she asked God if He was real to show her a sign; to send her an angel.  (I guess they were all busy, so He sent me.)  Anyway, it was a very real, emotional moment.  It was an Easter encounter.  Praise God!  She desires to be baptized."

That's it.  THAT'S what I hoped Easter would be; what I've always hoped for each Easter to be.  Last Easter sermon, first Easter sermon, any Easter sermon in between - it doesn't matter.  That's what a complete Easter is about - not just the great news that Jesus is risen, but going and telling it, and helping others to see Him.   Couldn't have asked for more...

I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: