Saturday, December 6, 2014

Time to Abandon Facebook?

What follows may be unnecessary.  Once again we baby-boomers are chasing younger generations off of a social media outlet.  I'm told Facebook is on the decline and may not have much of a future.  However, right now it remains a communication force for some.  I know it is supposed to be a lightweight means of general communication.  I'm concerned, though, by the amount of negativity, venom, and outright hating that makes its way to daily posts.   I don't know what's underneath all this.  Don't get me wrong; I'm all about free speech.  For those of us who claim Jesus, though, it's not about free speech.  It's about representing the King of Kings.  We play by a different set of rules.  If we can't or won't do so, whether on Facebook or anywhere, then we have to reconsider, seriously, our primary allegiance.

I know I'm far from guiltless.  I have posted negative energy, thinly veiled though I may have offered.  I've thought seriously about just opting out of Facebook.  Many of my colleagues in ministry, clergy and laity, have done so, essentially.  However, at least for now, Facebook continues to be a part of the electronic grid "marketplace."  Maybe I just need to establish and abide by ground rules or guiding questions before I post anything.  See what you think of the following:


  1. IS THE POST POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE?  If I'm just wanting to vent my feelings and I'm looking for an easy, wide audience, is this the best use of my Facebook presence?  There's more than enough negativity in our world.  How does it help lift up Jesus if I add to it?  Even if the post makes a fairly good point, if it's delivered in a negative tone, I should not post it.
  2. DOES THE POST ADD VALUE OR REDUCE VALUE?  Will the persons who read the post feel more valued in reading it, or will they feel belittled?  Will the post cause them to value other human beings as the children of God that they are, or will it contribute to readers seeing others as "those people."  If what I've written doesn't add value, I should not post it.
  3. DOES THE POST ENCOURAGE OR DISCOURAGE?   Simply put, do my words add to a sense of hope or detract from it?  If the latter, I should not post it.
  4. DOES THE POST FOCUS ON GOD AND/OR OTHERS OR DOES IT FOCUS ON ME?  The greatest commandment is to love God with my heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love others as God has loved me.  If what I've written doesn't reflect this, I should not post it.
  5. DOES THE POST SPEAK THE TRUTH IN LOVE?   Love without truth is indulgence.  Truth without love is legalism.  It's possible to for me to state that which is in fact true, and thus justify that it needs to be posted.  However, I can state truth in a way that is judgmental and caustic.  If I do so, I am not representing Christ, and my words should not be posted.
If I continue on Facebook, these will be my guidelines.  Please hold me accountable to them.  If anyone feels led to try them as well, please do so.  I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: