Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Angus T. Jones Decision

Entertainment news seems to lead the way in headlines each day, which is sad in and of itself.  Still, today's lead story is worth attention.  Angus T. Jones is a 19 year old actor who has been on ABC's "Two and a Half Men" since 2003.  Apparently Angus has entered into a relationship with Jesus and is learning what it means to be a follower.  He has felt led to repudiate the very show that has made him a multi-millionare before his 20th birthday.  Angus says his faith mandates that he tell people not to watch the very show on which he stars.  (I'll bet today's "Two and a Half Men" rehearsal was interesting!)

A multitude of media questions have hit the airwaves and cyberspace.  Is this legitimate or a publicity stunt?  Shouldn't he have taken the matter to his producers and co-stars before going public?  Should he walk away from the show now, or is a Christian obligated to fulfill a contract no matter what?   As believers, when we watch television shows, "Two and a Half Men" or whatever, are we just keeping up with the culture in which we must offer Jesus, or are we just filling our heads and hearts with filth?  (I have to confess a weakness for Chuck Lorre's other show, "The Big Band Theory.")

For now, though, let's just assume Angus' conversation and decision are legitimate and of the Holy Spirit...I certainly hope so.  As followers of Jesus, how many of us are ready to make the decisions that will cost us?  (Yeah, I know...Angus has plenty of money in the bank!)   Right or wrong, Angus put himself out there.  He may have sacrificed relationships, a career, and who knows what else.  I have to ask myself, is my commitment to Jesus and the cause of changing lives anywhere near that level?  Would I go public, at risk of ridicule and rejection, to declare my allegiance to God and God's view of how human life should be perceived.

I'm not pretending to have answers for anyone.  I'm just raising a question with which I think we all need to live for a while.  I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: