Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pastor Appreciation

Many churches use the months of October as an occasion to express appreciation to their pastoral leadership.  I am blessed to be a part of such a church.  This year our congregation had a special meal last Wednesday night for Pastor's Appreciation Month.   The event featured a large gathering of people giving up a part of their Wednesday evening, greeting cards, gifts (including an iPad!), and many verbal expressions of love and support.  It was a great evening, and my wife and I were very grateful for it.

At one point in the event I paused to scan the whole crowd.  I think the Holy Spirit wanted me to stop and pay attention to how really fortunate I am.  The gathering was a mix of people, but not just a variety of ages, backgrounds, gender, etc.   Some people there had been a part of this congregation for most of their lives.  Some gave their lives to Jesus and became part of this church only after weeks ago.  Some people haven taken huge faith steps to support the church's current disciple-making mission.  Some have been uncertain about the church's outward focus but they are hanging in their anyway.  Some have been my best cheerleaders in leading this church outward.  Others have not been in favor of all the ways I've led the congregation, but they care enough about the church and it's people to stick with it, no matter what.  That takes real commitment and courage.  Some have seen unbelievable blessings in their lives.  Some have walked the deepest darkest valleys and are still in them, but point beyond themselves to new life in Jesus anyway. All of them came to express appreciation.

Looking at all of them together I was reminded that this is the real gift - all of them.  To have the amazing gift of being allowed to be a part of everything God is doing here and to be with this glowing group of God's daughters and sons and sons in the doing of it, that's the real pastor's appreciation gift.  (Though the iPad really is pretty cool...I'm just saying...)

I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: