Friday, August 20, 2010

Out of the Loop

The world around us has no shortage of ways to make us fell left out - any age, any circumstance. It can sting us in not making the cut for the team, not being in the loop at work, not being invited to the party, not being included in automatic conversation before a worship service or whatever. I have to confess that I've had a number of occasions in 57 years when I was either made to feel that way, or I made others feel that way.

When it happens to me I have one of two choices. On the one hand, I can stew in my pain of being left out. I can feel sorry for myself and/or feel bad about myself. I can sink into negativity or plan elaborate schemes to strike back. I can even compensate by making sure that someone else experiences that same marginalizing that I feel. Or I can make darn sure that I do everything to the best of my ability so that nobody else within my horizon of life experiences the same thing. The former is easy; latter is challenging.

I don't think the one called Jesus attracted so many diverse people because of sound theology, good morals, or admirable behavior. I think the biggest draw was his steadfast refusal to leave anyone out. Just my opinion...I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

1 comment:

ODAAT said...

And sometimes we need to TOTALLY let it all go, give daddy back the "keys" and say, "I'm free of it all, I'm yours!" Then we can be totally open to Him. As long as we hold onto the "keys", as long as there is a remnant of "self" we are vulnerable to the pain of outside influences. Sometimes He needs us to return the keys, just so He can hand them back and say, "NOW you're on the right track, keep driving, my child, your license is valid." I love God!