Saturday, February 13, 2010

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

On Wednesday night I enjoyed the humbling blessing and privilege of baptizing a friend. I met him about a year ago during a weather emergency in our area. He's a tough individual, having survived some rough territory in his life. I could tell when I first met him, though, that this was someone whose heart was in the grip of God. And he's become a loyal friend. He chose to be baptized in the name of Jesus, and he asked two of our closest friends in Christ to join with us as witnesses. It was a glorious moment. I'm not sure if he will end up at our church, but it doesn't matter. He has Jesus-follower friends who will walk with him and have his back in this faith journey.

I have seen more in three decades of pastoral ministry than I ever thought I would see. I have served better churches than I ever thought I would receive. I have been involved in four church building programs. I have served in public office and in positions of denominational leadership. I have been blessed with various recognitions and done a little bit of publishing. I have traveled the nation and even a little bit of the world as a result of my ministry. And all of this completely pales in comparison to moments like Wednesday night. If I was given the choice between everything noted in this paragraph and more and one more occasion to see a friend kneel and receive Christ, I would take the latter in a heartbeat!

Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the victory of one more person embraced in the arms of Jesus. That's where my heart is; by the grace of God alone, and not by anything I generate.

Thanks be to God. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Geoff, I agree with you on this so much. When someone gives their heart to Jesus, I am always reduced to tears, (tears of absolute joy) & I just want to shout, two absolute opposite emotions, but that's the way God works, isn't it during these moments of such profound joy when we know that someone is going to experience the same joy that we know in serving our wonderful, risen Lord! Keep paddling! Love to our newest brother in Christ, Barb