Monday, December 21, 2009

Lynching - Revisited

On December 7 I posted that I saw what appeared to be a mock lynching portrayed in a yard alongside an area highway. Taking the same route today, I noticed that the image is gone. For a while, I ignored everything I wrote on December 7. I let myself become filled with righteous satisfaction. Obviously I was glad about the removal of this horrific reminder of one of the ugliest phenomenons in American history. I had fanciful imaginings of someone confronting the offender and forcing the dismantling of this hateful scenario. How pleased must God be with those of us ready to put a stop to this.

Then, unbidden, came a thought from the great Christian thinker and spiritual guide, Thomas Merton. He cautioned Jesus followers against assuming that our enemies are God's enemies. Yes, but whoever did this is a racist, wishing harm against his fellow human beings! So, Merton would counter, does that make him/her/them unworthy of the love of Jesus expressed in the willingness to endure the cross? No, I would have to respond. Then, no matter how fouled his/her/their heart(s) are, they are not God's enemies. They are lost children God longs to rescue.

This image came to mind, regarding all the righteous indignation I might allow myself to feel toward others, assuming that I am defending God's righteousness. When I stand before Jesus at the end of it all, do I really think Jesus is going to be impressed if the first thing I say is, "I stayed angry at those who sin against you to the very end!" I doubt it. He'll be more interested in what I did to extend his love to him/her/them.

I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: