Monday, May 25, 2009

The One Thing That Matters

I've been follower of Jesus for thirty-seven years. For thirty-one of those years I've been involved in full-time vocational ministry. I've enjoyed a lot of exciting and fulfilling dimensions of discipleship and ministry. I love preaching and I get to do it weekly. Teaching is a particularly joyful experience for me, and I've been involved in leading comprehensive, long-term Bible studies since 1987. I've had the chance to lead revivals and other evangelism-focused events in numerous places. I've been involved in countless faith-based mission projects throughout our state and nation. I've been a part of four church building programs. I've had the chance to serve in leadership positions for our denomination in our state, and I've been among those who have represented our state in regional-level denominational gatherings. I've been to the Holy Land, and many other places that have strengthened my faith. This is all by God's doing and not by my effort. I have been graced by God in more ways than I could ever deserve or imagine.

None of those things, though, come close to the most purposeful and fulfilling event in discipleship - participating with the Holy Spirit in introducing Jesus to someone who is living far from God. Followers of Jesus, there is nothing like it! All of us have differing roles to play in helping another person to see Jesus. Yet we all have something to contribute. There is a "rightness" about it that is like nothing else. If I had to make the choice between all I listed in the paragraph above and one chance to help another human being come face to face with the Son of the living God, I would take the latter in a heartbeat.

Sometimes I can get distracted and I allow myself to be distanced from this one thing that matters. This weekend God graced me with a reminder of the central purpose that is ours. So I'm kind of basking in thankfulness right now. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: