Monday, November 17, 2008

Ouch!

A Bible study I'm leading on Sunday nights have come to the point of experiencing the prophets of the 8th century before the birth of Jesus. In Israel and Judah, prophets were persons who spoke on God's behalf. Specifically, they warned God's people of the consequences of failing to keep their covenant with God to be a people set apart for the purpose of bringing God's light to all nations. To the chagrin of kings, leaders, and priests among the descendants of Abraham, prophets brazenly would point out examples of unrighteousness and injustice, covered over with a thin veneer of religiosity.

Last night we looked at the prophet Amos, who ministered in Israel at a time when there were rampant inequities and injustices, while the comfortable in the land went through the motions of practicing religion. Assuming that they were favored by God, Amos told them otherwise. Probably the most noteworthy section in Amos' words are found in Chapter 5, verses 21-24. Sight unseen, we read it from The Message, a current paraphrase of the Bible. God is speaking through Amos. He speaks as follows:

"I can't stand your religious meetings.
I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects,
your pretentious slogans and goals.
I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes,
your public relations and image making.
I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
I want justice - oceans of it.
I want fairness - rivers of it.
That's what I want. That's all I want."

Ouch! Does that sting anyone else besides our little Bible study group last night?

Sometimes the river is rough. Sometimes it takes that to get us back in the mainstream. I'll see you around the next bend in the river.

No comments: